Sunday, March 4, 2007

Sunidhi upset with Kareena?

It was a big moment in Sunidhi Chauhan's life when she got to sing Asha Bhosle's boogie-classic Yeh mera dil from Don.

"My version of Yeh mera dil can't hold a candle to Ashaji's original…nothing to pretend about there. If you look at the original song, situation, dancing everything was kamal ka. No one can replicate the original Yeh mera dil.

We weren't even trying. We did the song in a completely different way, and I failed. I sang the song according to the requirement of the scene. I wanted to infuse a certain brightness into this low-key number,but I couldn't."

Sunidhi wanted to re-do the song. "I didn't make that request though I wanted to. See, we never set out to be one-up on Don. In fact the old version is to this day fresh and contemporay. I was so thrilled when I got to record a song that I had sung on stage since my childhood.

To do one of Ashaji's best tracks was a great challenge. I decided I'd give my shot to Yeh mera dil. But I was bound by the character and situation. Which is fine because there's a special challenge in singing within character.

When I sang Yeh mera dil I found it lacking in brightness. That's okay. Eminent scientists make mistakes. Who am I? Frankly I'm neither happy not disappointed. But I'm all for Farhan Akhtar's vision. Let me add, I didn't sing Yeh mera dil with Ashaji in mind." Sunidhi who has sung one of her best song Bhaage re man in Chameli for Kareena is slightly disappointed by Kareena's emoting to Yeh mera dil. "I'm no one to comment on this. Kareena knows how to carry herself. She's exceptionally beautiful and expressive, she can play anything from a goddess to a vamp.

I just wish she had worn a black or red gown instead of a golden one for the song. Helenji gobbled everyone up with her eyes. Kareena could've done the same…And I wish Shah Rukh had gelled his hair and made a ponytail. He'd have looked like a full-on Don. I've been on world tours with Shah Rukh. Trust me, he'd have looked stunning."

Why is Sunidhi singing less songs these days, and why not more love ballads? "Not at all! I'm singing 2-3 songs every day. There was a trend of chartbusters from me. Then a lull in release, not in my singing. Now let me tell you I've sung a love balld for Ismail Durbar's in an English-language film called Interminable. It's a semi-classical song.

I can't believe Ismailji has tapped that quality in my voice. Then I've sung for a non-film album with Ustad Sultan Khan called Ustad & The Divas with songs composed by Sandesh Shandilya.

I wish some of my ballads were as successful as the brisk numbers. They clicked in an earlier era. And singers then were fortunate to belong to that era. But I'm lucky to be getting and being accepted in both kinds of songs."

Why is she so low-profile? "You'll never catch me at parties and music launches. My presence makes no difference to these. I won't go where my presence isn't respected. I'd any time go to a Vishal-Shekhar music launch.

But others treat me like just a vocal tool. Why should I be where I'm so indispensable? As long as people are happy with my work I don't need to be visible."

Source

No comments: